Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Iraqi Breakfast Watermelon and Cheese


If you are eating watermelon as it is, you are missing out on some serious flavor combinations.

One of which is the famous and beloved Iraqi style combo of watermelon and salty cheese.
I like to pair my watermelon with Haloomi cheese. This makes for a delicious and fresh breakfast, but like all breakfast foods, it is just as good any time of day.
I think by now it is a rarity to meet an Iraqi who does not have some memory, vivid or vague, of being in the midst of a bombardment. I remember when I was barely ten and the sirens had just turned off, my mother cut us some watermelon and fresh white Iraqi farmer's cheese for breakfast after long hours in the bomb shelter. At the time, this small familiar act came almost as a comfort and relief in the midst of war.
May Allah grant comfort and relief to all in need.

 صحة و عافية

No comments: